TFBW's Forum

Discuss
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The book: "Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists"
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:14 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

I do enjoy reading your treatments of the popular New Atheist arguments, but there are many staunch atheists that will tell you they agree that some of the arguments made by the "Four Horsemen" are easy pickin's for philosophical logicians. They are also keen on pointing out the existence of much more cogent arguments made by some supposed intellectual powerhouses that are not so easily dealt with.

I've seen "Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists", that was put together and edited by your fellow Australians, Russell Blackford and Udo Sch√ľklenk, referenced several times as containing some of those more difficult to respond to arguments.

I found an online PDF of the book and I am in the middle of reading it. I thought you might want to give it a look if you get a little time in the future.

Here's a link to the PDF:

http://www.thedivineconspiracy.org/Z5244C.pdf

Post subject: Re: The book: "Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists"
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:31 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

Well, that was a pretty short read. I didn't realize it was just a partial. However, I think it did give a fairly good feel for whether or not I should spend a few bucks to read the rest of it. I think I will. I like to get the other side of the story directly from the horse's mouth's, to be fair.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:30 am 
Your Host

If I ever feel like a higher grade of intellectual challenge, I'll bear it in mind. Still, it's a necessary public service to point out that most of popular New Atheism is merely popular and nothing more, because so many people (atheist or not) are impressed or intimidated by the stature and qualifications of the people spouting the anti-religious bunk.

To put it another way, as much as I'd like to rise to the challenge, I think it's currently more important to counteract the big evangelists of atheism, not its greatest living philosophers.

Then again, I do this kind of thing somewhat impetuously, so you never know...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:07 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

Presenting you with a challenge wasn't my intent. I enjoy reading your analysis of various perspectives. Whether you ever get around to reading this particular work and writing a response to it is irrelevant. I had a few spare minutes, thought of you, and simply wanted to provide you with some information you might not have been aware of otherwise.

In the meantime, I'll just keep on perpetuating the big lie that it is a well known fact that there is a TFBW Responds type of book expected to be forthcoming in the next year or two.