TFBW's Forum

Discuss
It is currently Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Robert Shapiro on life and Shakespeare quotations
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:03 pm 
Your Host

File this one away for future reference: an interview with Robert Shapiro at Edge.org. Noteworthy for the following extract.

Quote:
I'm always running out of metaphors to try and explain what the difficulty is. But suppose you took Scrabble sets, or any word game sets, blocks with letters, containing every language on Earth, and you heap them together and you then took a scoop and you scooped into that heap, and you flung it out on the lawn there, and the letters fell into a line which contained the words β€œTo be or not to be, that is the question,” that is roughly the odds of an RNA molecule, given no feedback β€” and there would be no feedback, because it wouldn't be functional until it attained a certain length and could copy itself β€” appearing on the Earth.

An interesting choice of phrase to generate randomly. My Mathematics of Monkeys and Shakespeare just got a fresh injection of relevance.

Post subject: Re: Robert Shapiro on life and Shakespeare quotations
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:28 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

TFBW wrote:
My Mathematics of Monkeys and Shakespeare just got a fresh injection of relevance.

It's interesting that the evolutionista always want to simply dismiss it as irrelevant, when I bring it up. It seems to me that is kinda like saying the Wright brothers are irrelevant to the evolution of aviation.

Anyway, that was an interesting article. I liked the roundtable discussion format that began about halfway through.

The chapter on Monkey Math is going to need a little bit of a freshening up for the book. Might as well get started. We're running out of time. I want to have a chance to read this thing before I get too old. BTW, I'm gonna need a signed first run copy to give to my daughter, so your going to have to arrange for at least one hardcover edition.

Just do it,
Nick