TFBW's Forum

Discuss
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: The book?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:44 am 
Accomplished Articulator

Brett, when are you going to write a book? You must have been asked this a thousand times.

Post subject: Re: The book?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:37 pm 
Your Host

Haha. More like a dozen times. Technically, I already have written a book. I spent most of the last seven or eight years writing it. I refer, of course, to my PhD thesis. This is probably not the kind of book you were hoping for, though.

I do consider it possible that I will eventually write a book. It's not likely to happen soon, given that work is keeping me well occupied, but it's something I now know I could do if I put my mind to it.

What sort of book were you hoping to see?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

Well, having read Vox Day's book "The Irrational Atheist" and what you have written, so far, in your review of "The greatest Show on Earth", I thought it would be nice to see you fully flesh out your perspective on the flawed logic of doctrinaire materialism and militant atheism if there is any real substantive difference between the two. You have a real knack for bringing a substantial amount of clarity to the topic.

Maybe something along the lines of "In Defense of the Rational Creationist". See, I've already picked out a title... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:21 am 
Your Host

Interesting. We'll have to see where things go of their own accord to some degree. Sometimes I get taken with the idea of writing something, and I just do it. My personal expectation is that if I were to write a book, it would probably be some kind of series of thoughts starting with the monkeys and typewriters idea. I'm not entirely sure what path it would take, though.

Anyhow, if I do embark on a book project, I'm unlikely to make a big secret of it, so you can expect to get advance warning.

Meanwhile, I have a big steaming pile of Dawkins to analyse. Must finish job I have started. (Frowns purposefully, dons overalls, and grabs shovel.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:47 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

Okay, I honestly tried to wade through your thesis while waiting for subsequent installments of your review of Dawkin's book, but most of it is over my head and, at best, tangential to anything I'm interested in. Consequently, I start getting all blurry eyed after a minute or two. Anyway, I hope your oral exam went well. Can we now tag on "PhD" after "The Famous Brett Watson" moniker?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:18 pm 
Your Host

Yes, you can officially tag on "PhD" after the Brett Watson, or put "Dr" in front of it. Doing that and "The Famous" at the same time would be overkill, however, and I tend to stick with just "The Famous" except on forms where they insist that you fill in one of Mr, Ms, or Dr.

My university doesn't do oral exams: it's by thesis examination, and all examiners come from outside the university.

Sorry about the delay on the Dawkins front. Procrastination -- nothing more, nothing less. I'll try to have another post done this weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:25 am 
Accomplished Articulator

Excellent! Let the Doctor Watson jokes commence. Ha! Elementary.