[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4183: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4185: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4186: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4187: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
TFBW's Forum • View topic - Random Acts of Philosophy on the blog of Martin S Pribble

TFBW's Forum

Discuss
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Random Acts of Philosophy on the blog of Martin S Pribble
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:41 am 
Accomplished Articulator

Alright, I finished it, but don't agree 100% with everything he had to say. Now, I've got to go and find some differing philosophical viewpoints so I can gain a better perspective. It's hard to read philosophers though. You have to read everything twice just to make sure you read it right the first time and some of them appear to think they can just invent words to suit their needs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:42 pm 
Your Host

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:55 pm 
Your Host

Posted again: http://www.martinspribble.com/2011/12/2 ... -morality/

It seems that Martin is rediscovering utilitarianism. I wonder if he'll bother to familiarise himself with some of the past thinking on the subject, or whether he'll want to reinvent the wheel more or less from scratch.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:26 pm 
Your Host

http://www.martinspribble.com/2012/01/0 ... hristians/

The praise that Martin receives on his blog for his insight and ability to reason does nothing good for my view of mankind's rationality in general.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:07 pm 
Accomplished Articulator

Martin seems to deny the existence of the hypocrite who, by definition, is "a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he or she does not hold in order to conceal his or her true feelings or motives". I can't imagine this oversight was anything but an intentional stratagem designed to make his little excogitation play better for his regular audience.

It is rather transparent and exposes the atheists general lack of moral integrity in even the simplest of matters. This is exactly why I find debating with atheists, especially the smart ones, so exasperating. You know that they know they are being intentionally disingenuous while thinking themselves to be clever.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:49 pm 
Your Host

It's hard to guess motives, and I appreciate what you mean about disingenuous arguments, but I find it's best to adhere closely to the advice of Hanlon's razor: do not attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. Mostly I think that militant atheists are so fired up about their subject that their judgement is impaired, but they're completely convinced that their position is one of pure reason and evidence, so they remain quite oblivious to how irrational they can be. Some people will just taunt instead of arguing -- no good can come of responding to them, so it's best to just ignore them. (There are some shining examples in Martin's comments -- I won't name names.)

Also, if you find that you can't come up with a response more constructive than "that's so far from right, it's not even wrong," then just rest your case. Whenever you do respond, put as much effort into keeping your tone civil as making your case strong and clear. This probably won't impress your opponent, but bear in mind that you are engaging in a public performance: leave the wider audience with a good impression, not only as regards clear thinking, but also as regards politeness and self control under trying conditions.

Well, that's my current formula, more or less, for what it's worth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:29 pm 
Your Host

The discussion continues on the subject of "No True Christian". Martin is starting to think that I'm being deliberately obtuse: the truth is that his argument is just that hard for me to follow, so there's probably some combination of poor clarity on his part and actual stupidity on mine. Clear expression ain't something they teach in school, and it's harder than most people think. Anyhow, I hope my attempts to follow the bouncing ball aren't interpreted as wilful trolling if I've misinterpreted him again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:46 pm 
Your Host

Martin follows on from "no true Christian" with an article on evil in religion generally.

http://www.martinspribble.com/2012/01/1 ... o-believe/

I've responded, so expect the standard vitriol and accusations of trolling to follow from the usual third parties.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:19 pm 
Your Host

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:41 am 
Your Host

For the sake of completeness, I will mention that I've commented on another of Martin's posts.

http://www.martinspribble.com/2012/01/2 ... -of-ideas/

The post itself is really nothing but propaganda, so I responded with rhetoric of my own. At least I kept it short.

This has, of course, attracted emotional responses. In other news, night follows day. I'm still considering whether to amp it up a little, or just leave them to their happy little echo chamber of mutual appreciation. I prefer reasoned argument, but rhetoric has much broader appeal. Maybe I should use it more than I do.

On a side note, I'd like to thank RelUnrelated for engaging in a civil exchange of views through comments on the previous post. It's a shame that this won't be possible while the rhetoric flies thick and fast, as it will on this post.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:48 am 
Your Host

Commented on another post.

http://www.martinspribble.com/2012/01/2 ... indonesia/

A change of pace, this time. Due to the nature of the post, I can cite additional facts not present in his post, so I'm going for "informative". Whether or not people still respond as though I'm trolling remains to be seen.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:40 am 
Your Host

Right... current assessment of situation is, "I'm not seeing how this exercise is productive in any sense".

Time to pull the plug.

Adieu, Pribble and readers.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:31 am 
Accomplished Articulator

Pity. It seemed like it was taking a turn for the better there for a day or two, but I guess you probably expected that wouldn't last too long. When they have home field advantage, it's difficult to keep them on track long enough to actually get anything settled. I applaud the effort though!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:50 pm 
Your Host

Blogs tend to foster a culture of moving on from a topic very quickly. The standard pattern at Martin's blog (when not interrupted by the likes of me), is that he posts his anti-religion diatribe du jour, the choir to which he is preaching chimes in with their sycophantic "amens", and they move on. It's not a strict rule, of course, just the typical flow of things. My interest in a deeper discussion goes against that flow. That's partly why I've stuck with this lonely little forum instead of updating my blogs: it's not as bound to the flow of time.

Also, when it comes down to it, Martin's blog is more like a private club for like-minded individuals than an open invitation to disagree. Normally, I wouldn't dream of stepping into an environment like that and challenging the prevailing point of view. I make an exception in the case of scientific rationalists because they're so adamant that their views are grounded in reason, evidence, falsificationism and the like. Strangely, though, attempts to falsify their arguments are never welcomed. This should not be interpreted as hypocrisy on their part, however: it just so happens that the people who disagree with them are invariably exasperating idiots, like yours truly.